Nothing beats home-made fishcakes, they're perfect for dinner or as lunch box fillers! Use hake or any other fish of your choice.
- 125 ml (½ cup) milk
- 60 ml (¼ cup) water
- 450 g frozen hake fillets, thawed slightly
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 45 ml (3 Tbsp) butter or margarine
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) Spur Durky Sauce
- 45 ml (3 Tbsp) Spur Sweet Chilli Dressing
- 3 ml (½ tsp) Spur Lemon & Peri Peri Spice
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 250 ml (1 cup) cake wheat flour
- 3 extra large eggs, beaten
- 375 ml (1½ cups) dried breadcrumbs
- Cooking oil for shallow frying
- Spur Sweet Chilli Dressing for serving
Combine milk and water in a large, heavy-based frying pan. Add fish and poach until cooked. Drain and cool slightly.
Boil potatoes in salted water in a medium, heavy-based saucepan until soft. Drain, add butter, and mash until creamy and fluffy. Add breadcrumbs, Spur Durky Sauce, Sweet Chilli Sauce, mint, seasoning, pepper and mix well.
Flake fish fillets and add to potato mixture. Roll mixture into medium-sized balls and flatten slightly. Place in fridge for about 20 minutes to chill before crumbing.
Roll fish cakes in flour, then dip into beaten eggs and lastly roll in the breadcrumbs. Place onto a baking tray and refrigerate for about 30 minutes to allow crumbs to set.
Heat oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan. Gently fry in hot oil until golden brown on both sides. Remove from oil and drain on paper towel. Serve with Spur Sweet Chilli Dressing and lemon slices.