Slow-roasted beef is shredded and mixed Spur's BBQ sauce, loaded into rolls and topped with tomato and coriander, a serious sandwich to impress!
BBQ Pulled Beef:
- 1.2 kg beef roast (topside)
- 60 ml (¼ cup) cooking oil
- 3 ml (½ tsp) Spur Steakhouse Spice
- 750 ml (3 cups) water
- 1 medium onion, chopped coarsely
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 200 ml (¾ cup) Spur BBQ Sauce
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) honey
- 2 French loaves
- butter or margarine, for spreading
- 3 medium tomatoes, sliced or coarsely chopped
- 1 red onion, sliced
- fresh coriander or parsley, for serving
- Spur Salad & French Fry Dressing
Cut beef roast into four pieces. Heat half the oil in a heavy-based pot and brown meat on all sides. Season with Spur Steakhouse Spice.
Add half the water, cover and simmer for about 2 hours. Check water level during cooking and add remaining water if required. Continue for 30 minutes to 1 hour until tender.
Remove beef from pot and shred into long strands using two forks. (Do not make the strands too thin – a chunky texture is best.)
Heat remaining oil in the same pot. Sauté onion and garlic until soft. Add shredded beef, Spur BBQ Sauce and honey and heat through.
Sandwich: Cut loaves lengthways and spread with butter. Place shredded beef on bases and top with tomato, red onion and coriander. Drizzle with Spur Salad & French Fry or Sweet Chilli Dressing if preferred.
Cut the loaf in 2 to 4 sections for individual servings.
Add 3 ml (½ tsp) ground cumin for an enhanced flavour.
Add Spur Peri-Peri Sauce for a spicy kick.
Beef can be replaced with pork.