Beetroot provides a delicious sweet flavour to these muffins, and combined with the bananas gives them a moist texture.
- 500ml (2 cups) cake wheat flour
- 15ml (1 tbsp) baking powder
- 1ml (¼ tsp) bicarbonate of soda
- 1ml (pinch) salt
- 125ml (½ cup) light brown sugar
- 2 extra large eggs
- 80ml (1/3 cup) Spur Salad & French Fry Dressing
- 160ml (2/3 cup) milk
- 125ml (½ cup) cooking oil
- 250ml (1 cup) coarsely grated beetroot
- 2 large (¾ cup) bananas, mashed
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Sift flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt together. Add sugar.
Whisk eggs, Spur Salad & French Fry Dressing, milk and oil together. Add to the dry ingredients.
Add the grated beetroot and mashed banana and mix lightly with a spoon until just combined. Do not over-mix; the mixture should still be lumpy.
Spoon mixture into greased muffin pans, filling each three-quarters full. Bake for about 20 minutes until light brown. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
Dust with icing sugar before serving.
Carrot Muffins: Substitute the beetroot with grated carrots.
Dried Fruit Muffins: Reduce sugar to 80ml (1/3 cup) and add 200ml (¾ cup) coarsely chopped cherries or any other dried fruit of choice. Makes 12 muffins.