This basic dough is really easy to make, and it cooks well over a grid making great pizzas. Add any kind of meat or vegetables to create your own delicious masterpiece.
- 500 g (3½ cups) cake flour
- 5 ml (1 tsp) sugar
- 2 ml (¼ tsp) salt
- 5 g (8 ml) instant dry yeast
- about 300 ml lukewarm water
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) cooking oil
- 100 g tomato paste
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) Spur Braai-time Marinade
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) water
- 200 g (500 ml) grated mozzarella cheese
- 50 g chopped spinach or kale, lightly blanched
- 8 black olives, pitted
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) chopped fresh mixed herbs or 5 ml (1 tsp) dried
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 200 g feta cheese, crumbled slightly
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) freshly chopped thyme or 10 ml (2 tsp) dried
Sift flour, sugar and salt together. Add yeast.
Add enough lukewarm water to mix to a firm dough. Knead dough for about 5 minutes until smooth and not sticky.
Brush oil over dough, cover and leave in a warm place to double in size.
Knead it down and roll it out into four pizza bases of about 20 cm in diameter each, or smaller individual ones if preferred. Dust with flour.
Cook the pizza dough base over low coals for 3 – 5 minutes, until the dough is lightly brown underneath. Turn pizza base over, so cooked side is uppermost.
Topping: Mix tomato paste, Spur Braai-time Marinade and water together. Sprinkle half of the cheese over the tomato base. Top with spinach, olives and herbs. Season. Sprinkle Feta and remaining mozzarella cheese on top.
Cook until the topping has melted and the dough has puffed up and turned golden brown, about 12 – 15 minutes. Sprinkle chopped thyme over.