This versatile recipe is great for kid's parties.
- 125 g butter or margarine, softened
- 250 ml (1 cup) sugar
- 2 extra-large eggs
- 5 ml (1 tsp) lemon essence
- 10 ml (2 tsp) grated lemon rind
- 500 ml (2 cups) cake flour
- 10 ml (2 tsp) baking powder
- 1 ml (pinch) salt
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) Spur Salad & French Fry Dressing
- 100 ml milk
- 1L (4 cups) icing sugar
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) fresh lemon juice
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) warm water
- 5 ml (1 tsp) grated lemon rind
- a few drops yellow food colouring
Cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition, until light and creamy. Add essence and lemon rind.
Sift flour, baking powder and salt together. Add tomixture, alternating with Spur Salad & French Fry Dressing and milk. Mix well until smooth.
Turn out into round silicone trays. Bake at 180°C for about 20 minutes. Cool slightly in the pan before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
For the icing, sift icing sugar. Add lemon juice and enough water and whisk to a smooth, runny consistency. Add lemon rind and colouring. Ice the cake pops on a wire rack, over a tray. Re-use icing that dripped into tray.
When cooled pop a stick into them and serve in paper cups with ribbon or stick them into a cake.