A soulful taste experience that will complete your picnic, complement your lunch box or accompany your favourite fish or chicken dish.
- 750 ml (3 cups) cake flour
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) baking powder
- 5 ml (1 tsp) Spur Steakhouse Spice
- 3 spring onions, coarsely chopped or 1 small onion, chopped and sautéed
- 250 ml (1 cup) grated cheddar cheese
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) chopped fresh mixed herbs or 10 ml (2 tsp) dried
- 200 ml (¾ cup) Spur Salad & French Fry Dressing
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) Spur Durky Sauce
- 1 extra-large egg
- 200 ml (¾ cup) milk
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) cooking oil
Sift the flour and baking powder together. Add Spur Steakhouse Spice.
Mix the spring onions, cheese and herbs and add to the dry ingredients. Whisk the Spur Salad & French Fry Dressing, Spur Durky Sauce, egg, milk and oil together and mix lightly into the dry mixture. Spoon into a greased 22.5 cm loaf pan.
Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for about 45 minutes. Serve with butter, if preferred.
Roosterkoek: Use recipe for cheese and herb bread, but reduce the milk to 125 ml (½ cup). Omit the egg. Mix to a firm dough, shape into balls and fry in a griddlepan or over cool coals for 5-8 minutes per side.