Chickpeas are a great source of protein an act as the binder in these patties. These are essentially a vegetable falafel and ideal for vegetarians. Plus they're healthy and delicious!
- 1 can (410g) chickpeas, drained
- 3 slices white or brown bread
- 80 ml Spur Peri-Peri Sauce
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 extra-large eggs, beaten
- 80 ml cake flour, plus extra for coating
- 2 ml (¼ tsp) Spur Seasoning Salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 125 ml (½ cup) dried breadcrumbs, for coating
- Cooking oil, for frying
- 6 hamburger rolls
Blend half of the chickpeas with a hand blender. Slightly crush the other half with a fork.
Soak bread slices in Spur Peri-Peri Sauce until soft. Combine the bread, chickpeas, onion, garlic, 1 egg, cake flour, Spur Seasoning Salt and pepper. Mix well.
Shape mixture into 6–8 patties. Whisk remaining eggs and roll patties in flour, dip in eggs and coat with breadcrumbs.
Heat oil in a heavy-based frying pan and shallow-fry the patties for 2–3 minutes per side or until golden. Drain on kitchen towel.
Serve inside hamburger rolls immediately.
These patties are best eaten warm, as they become dry when cooled or kept for the following day.
Add 60 g frozen peas and 10 ml (2 tsp) freshly chopped mint to patty mixture.
Add 1 coarsely grated medium carrot to patty mixture.