Vetkoek is a real treat anytime of the day! Whether with syrup, apricot jam or curry mince, vetkoek has no equal!
- 1000 ml (560 g) cake flour, sifted
- 3 ml (½ tsp) salt
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) sugar
- 10 g (1 sachet) instant dry yeast
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) cooking oil, plus extra for deep-frying
- 400 ml luke-warm water
- 45 ml (3 Tbsp) cooking oil
- 500 g lean beef mince
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) medium curry powder
- 5 ml (1 tsp) garam masala
- 3 ml (½ tsp) turmeric
- 2 ml (¼ tsp) ground cumin
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and coarsely grated
- 100 ml Spur Grill Basting Sauce
- 60 ml (¼ cup) Spur Peri-Peri Sauce
- About 250 ml (1 cup) water
Combine flour, salt, sugar and yeast and mix well.
Combine oil and enough lukewarm water, add to flour mixture and mix to a soft dough. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5–10 minutes, or until dough is smooth and elastic. Place dough in a large, lightly oiled bowl, cover and leave to rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes, or until doubled in size.
Knock down dough on a lightly floured surface and knead again until smooth. Shape into 10 balls and let rise again for 10 minutes. Flatten slightly with palm of hand.
Heat oil and deep fry the vetkoek, turning constantly, until golden brown. Remove from oil with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
Heat oil and fry mince until it changes colour. Add onion and garlic and sauté for a few minutes until soft. Add spices and fry for about 1 minute.
Add potatoes, carrot, Spur Grill Basting Sauce, Spur Peri-Peri Sauce, salt and water. Cover with lid and leave to simmer for about 20 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Thicken with a paste of 15 ml (1 Tbsp) flour and a little water, if required. Remove from heat.
Cut the vetkoek three-quarters of the way through and fill with the mince. Serve warm.