Sweet mango chutney and sautéed onion and tomatoes take this grilled cheese sandwich to new heights with this unique South African twist. It’s buttery, cheesy, gooey, and absolutely delicious.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, or neutral oil of choice
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 small roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 slices white bread
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, plus more for cooking
- 2 tablespoons mango chutney
- 225g shredded gruyère cheese
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, tomatoes, garlic, salt, and pepper and cook for 5 minutes, or until the onion is soft. Transfer the sautéed vegetables to a bowl and set aside.
Butter both sides of each slice of bread. Spread 1 tablespoon of mango chutney over 2 slices of bread, then top with a handful of shredded Gruyère, ½ cup of the sautéed tomatoes and onion, then another handful of shredded Gruyère. Place the remaining slice of buttered bread on top.
Melt some butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add a sandwich and cook for 5–6 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and the cheese has melted. Repeat with the remaining sandwich.