This popular Moroccan Kefta Mkawra Tagine is meatballs cooked in a spicy tomato sauce. The eggs are optional, but they add a classic finish to the dish.
- 30 ml cooking oil
- 1 small red or white onion, finely chopped
- 750 g ground beef or lamb mince
- 10 ml (2 tsp) ground cinnamon
- 10 ml (2 tsp) cumin
- 5 ml (1 tsp) paprika
- 10 ml (2 tsp) ginger
- ½ small red chilli, finely chopped
- 60 ml (¼ cup) finely chopped fresh coriander
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) Spur Peri-Peri Sauce
- 5 ml (1 tsp) Spur Steakhouse Spice
- 1 extra large egg
- 45 ml (3 Tbsp) olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 30 ml (1 Tbsp) Spur Durky Sauce
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) tomato paste
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) water
- 160 ml (2/3 cup) Spur Braai-time Marinade
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) ground cumin
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) white sugar
- 45 ml (3 Tbsp) chopped fresh coriander
- 5 ml (1 tsp) salt
- 4 – 6 extra large eggs (optional)
Meat: Heat oil in a heavy-based saucepan. Add onion and sauté for a few minutes. Add all of the other ingredients and mix well. Shape into heaped, tablespoon-sized meatballs and set aside.
Tomato Sauce: Heat the olive oil in a large heavy-based saucepan, and fry the onion until soft. Add all the ingredients, except the eggs. Simmer, covered for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the meatballs into the tomato sauce, cover and simmer over medium heat for 20 – 25 minutes. Break the eggs over the top of the meatballs, cover with lid and simmer for 5 – 7 minutes, until the egg yolks are set. Serve immediately..