Sugar and spice and all things nice! These tasty pies will fly off the serving platter.
- 400 g ready-prepared puff, shortcrust or phyllo pastry
- 60 g butter or margarine, softened
- 200 ml (¾ cup) sugar
- 2 extra-large eggs, separated
- 125 ml (½ cup) Spur Salad & French Fry Dressing
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cooked, mashed and cooled (1½ cups)
- 5 ml (1 tsp) ground cinnamon
- 3 ml (½ tsp) ground ginger
- 1 ml allspice
- 2 ml (¼ tsp) salt
- Cinnamon sugar, for topping
Cream butter and sugar together. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Add Spur Salad & French Fry Dressing and beat well. Stir in sweet potatoes and spices. Whisk egg whites until stiff peak stage and gently fold into mixture. Spoon into the pre-baked pastry shells.
Bake at 180°C for about 20 minutes or until set. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and serve warm or cold.
Instead of small pies, make one large pie and bake for about 40 minutes.