This hearty, thick soup is rich in taste and truly South African - it'll definitely be a crowd pleaser!
- 125 g butter or margarine
- 200 ml (¾ cup) cake wheat flour
- 500 ml (2 cups) milk
- 1.5 litres (6 cups) beef stock
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) Spur BBQ Sauce
- 2 ml (½ tsp) ground nutmeg
- 2 ml (½ tsp) ground coriander
- 5 ml (1 tsp) Spur Classic Biltong Signature Seasoning
- 125 ml (½ cup) fresh cream
- 100 g biltong powder
- 75 g (¾ cup) grated cheddar cheese
- about 80g sliced biltong
Melt butter in a medium, heavy-based saucepan. Add flour and stir over low heat for about 1 minute. Add milk and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until sauce is smooth and has thickened slightly.
Add stock, Spur BBQ Sauce, spices and seasoning. Simmer for about 10 minutes, whisking constantly, until thick.
Add cream, biltong powder and cheese and simmer for about 5 minutes. Add about 50 g sliced biltong. Serve immediately and garnish with remaining sliced biltong. Serve with any bread or rolls, if preferred.
Omit sliced biltong and increase biltong powder, if preferred.
Substitute Cheddar cheese with any other of choice, such as mozzarella or Edam.
Substitute half of cream with sherry.
Substitute spices with any other spices of choice.