Grill snoek with a sweet basting to give it a wonderful colour and flavour. Best served with 'Soetpatats'.
- 1 (1.8 kg) whole fresh or slightly smoked snoek, cut open
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) salt
- Lemon wedges
Apricot Basting Sauce
- 45 ml (3 Tbsp) butter, melted, or olive oil
- 60 ml (¼ cup) smooth apricot jam
- 10 ml (2 tsp) fresh lemon juice
- 2 ml (¼ tsp) grated lemon rind
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 8 ml (1½ tsp) soy sauce
- 45 ml (3 Tbsp) Spur Durky Sauce
- Lemon slices
Sprinkle salt on the inside and outside of fish and leave to stand for 30 minutes. Rinse off salt and pat dry.
Combine basting ingredients.
Place fish skin-side down with a few lemon slices in a well-oiled, hinged grid over moderate coals. Grill for 12–15 minutes, basting frequently. Grill flesh-side last. Serve immediately with lemon wedges.
Serve hot with soetpatats.