Impress your guests with this dreamy cake, filled with delectable chocolate.
- 180 g butter or margarine, softened
- 200 ml (¾ cup) sugar
- 2 extra-large eggs
- 5 ml (1 tsp) vanilla essence
- 310 ml (1 ¼ cups) cake flour
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) baking powder
- 2 ml (¼ tsp) salt
- 60 ml (¼ cup) cocoa powder
- 50g chopped nuts (optional)
- 200 ml (¾ cup) Spur Salad & French Fry Dressing
- 100 g dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) fresh cream
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) butter or margarine
Line and grease a 24 cm loose-bottom round cake pan.
Cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, until light and creamy. Add essence.
Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder together.
Add dry ingredients, alternating with Spur Salad & French Fry Dressing, to produce a creamed mixture. Mix well.
Turn out batter into prepared pan. Bake at 180°C for 45 minutes or until baked through and skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool slightly in pan. Turn onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
For the topping, melt the chocolate slightly. Add cream and butter and melt further over low heat until completely melted. Cool for 30 minutes before spooning over cake.
Grate 50 g (½ slab) mint crisp chocolate over icing for a delicious mint flavour.