Deliciously rich and creamy, this dish is ideal served as a warm side or main meal with some steamed veggies or salad.
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) cooking oil
- 125 g rindless streaky bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 250 ml (1 cup) grated Cheddar cheese
- 200 ml sachet Spur Cheese Sauce
- 200 ml milk
- 10 ml (2 tsp) fresh origanum, chopped
- 5 ml (1 tsp) Spur Classic Biltong Spice
- Add freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Boil potatoes until soft, then cut into slices. Layer in an ovenproof dish.
Heat oil in a heavy-based frying pan and fry bacon and onion until soft. Remove from heat and spread over potatoes. Top with cheese.
Mix cheese sauce, milk, origanum and seasonings together and pour over potatoes. Leave for about 10 minutes for sauce to soak in.
Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for about 40 minutes.
Substitute Spur Cheese Sauce with Spur Mushroom or Pepper Sauce.
Substitute the medium potatoes with small, unpeeled baby potatoes.
For a vegetarian option, substitute the bacon with asparagus or mushrooms.
Cut out the grated cheese for a healthier and lighter option.