This is the perfect dish to make with all the leftover braai meat, plus it's something different and delicious for breakfast.
- 125 ml (½ cup) cooking oil
- 6 extra large eggs
- 250 g streaky rindless bacon
- 100 g (1 cup) grated Cheddar or mozzarella cheese
- 3 ml (½ tsp) Spur Steakhouse Spice
- 60 ml (¼ cup) Spur Hickory Basting
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 x 400g packs of puff pastry
Filling: Heat oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan. Fry the eggs until soft, but set. Remove from oil and set aside.
Fry the bacon in the same pan until cooked and starting to crisp (add more oil if needed). Remove from oil and set aside.
Base: Unroll one packet of pastry on the inside of a greased hedged braai grid. Leave about 1 cm open on all edges. Layer the eggs over the pastry. Sprinkle the cheese, seasoning and pepper over and drizzle with Spur Hickory Basting. Top with the bacon.
Unroll second pastry to close over the filling. Secure the border all around by pressing lightly to close.
Close the grid and grill over low coals for 15 – 20 minutes, or until it becomes crisp and light-brown in colour. Serve immediately.
Substitute Spur Hickory Sauce with Spur BBQ Sauce.