Small little bundles of fragrant fun that pack a delightful punch.
- 200 ml (¾ cup) cake flour
- 10 ml (2 tsp) baking powder
- 2 ml (¼ tsp) cayenne pepper
- 5 ml (1 tsp) Spur Lemon & Peri Peri Spice
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 80 g fresh spinach, chopped
- 125 g feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 extra-large egg, beaten
- 100 ml Spur Durky Sauce
- cooking oil, for deep-frying
Sift flour, baking powder and cayenne pepper together. Add Spur Lemon & Peri Peri Spice and pepper.
Heat oil in a heavy-based frying pan, add onion and sauté until soft. Add spinach and cook for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly. Add feta.
Add spinach and feta mixture to the dry ingredients and mix through. Combine beaten egg and Spur Durky Sauce, add to spinach mixture and mix until well combined.
Spoon heaped teaspoons of the mixture into hot oil and deep-fry until golden brown. Remove from oil with a slotted spoon. Drain on paper towel.
Serve hot with Spur Sweet Chilli Sauce to dip.