Spur's hickory basting pairs perfectly with tomato, fresh basil and Parmesan.
- 10 ml (2 tsp) olive or cooking oil
- 10 ml (2 tsp) butter or margarine
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 ml (½ tsp) chopped ginger
- ½ small red onion, sliced
- 500 g cherry tomatoes
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) Spur Hickory Basting Sauce
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) brown sugar
- 5 ml (1 tsp) Spur Seasoning Salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 400 g frozen puff pastry, defrosted
- 1 beaten egg, for glazing
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) milk, for glazing
- Parmesan cheese shavings, to serve
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) fresh, chopped basil, to serve
Heat oil and butter in a large frying pan. Add garlic, ginger and red onion and sauté until soft.
Add tomatoes and stir-fry for a few minutes. Add Spur Hickory Basting, sugar, Spur Seasoning Salt and season with pepper. Stir-fry for 10 minutes for tomatoes to soften and for sauce to reduce. Set aside.
Roll pastry out on a floured surface until about 3 mm thick. Cut into rectangular shapes of about 7 x 10 cm each. Place half of the pastry shapes on a greased baking tray. Dampen the edges with water. Cut out centres of the other pastry halves and place on top of the base pastries.
Divide the tomato mix between pastries and brush edges with beaten egg and milk. Bake at 200°C for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Garnish with Parmesan cheese and basil to serve.